Friday, September 23, 2016

My final race of the 2016 season!
Xterra Pan-American Championship
If you read my earlier posts, you know this race was a question mark if I would even race. That's because I crashed a month earlier at another race. I recovered well enough to race, just in time.  I decided to change my goals and go for the swim win and have fun for the rest of the race. (due to my "out time" from crash recovery)

I don't think I've ever been so nervous for an Xterra swim before. I knew there were going to be some stellar swimmers here with the same goal as me.  I had to play this tactically smart to win it.

I started wide and had my own line to the 1st buoy which was really difficult to see being a half mile away and directly in line with the sun... so I aimed for the sun. Eventually, I got into the lead pack of four.  The pace was really, really fast at times but I held on.  Once the pace was more comfortable, I came around at the end and sprinted for the beach.  Taking the lead and exiting the water, I knew it wouldn't be official unless I entered transition first.  I kept sprinting right to my bike.  I had done it!

Unfortunately, in transition, I had a difficult time getting out of my wetsuit.  A secondary goal was to have the fastest transitions.  That was not going to happen today.

My lack of bike riding the last month showed quickly as multiple competitors passed me early.  Oh well. I enjoyed the descents and since I wasn't in competition for the podium, it was needless to take risks. Combine that with a bit of a fear hangover from my crash a month earlier made for fun, but safe riding.  I've kept this quiet until now, but I had Lasik performed last December with Dr Bill Richheimer at the Mile High Eye Institute.  (an Xterra competitor)  I've had some unforeseen side effects that he's been great helping me out with, but my racing vision has been super. It really helped me to descend and run safely at speed.

Toward the end of the bike, (which is a beautiful course since I had more of a chance to enjoy the scenery this year) my legs started cramping up.  Fortunately, I was fine on the run.  Good thing because within a half mile of the race finish Will Kelsey caught up with me.  We had a full on sprint for the line which I managed to win.  The funny part of it was that while I was first out of the water, he was last out! ( Tina wisely observed "well, that shows you how little the swim matters!")

Will is a good humored guy, and we had a good laugh about it.

I'm happy the season is over, but sad I didn't get to see how well I could have raced in proper fitness.


Now, I have pictures and video for you!
On the bike:

The official race video:  Ashley shows her game face at 1:20 I'm featured exiting the water at 2:33 and again at 4:00

You can also see a great sprint finish of overall race winner Josiah Middaugh at 6:00





No comments:

Post a Comment